Luanda • Quatro de Fevereiro International Airport [LAD/FNLU] Angola 07/02/12

by AeroWorldpictures Team

Démarrer diaporama
Quatro de Fevereiro International Airport (Portuguese: Aeroporto Internacional 4 de Fevereiro), (IATA: LAD, ICAO: FNLU) is the main international airport of Angola. It is located in the southern part of the capital Luanda, situated in the Luanda Province. The airport started to be constructed in 1951, to serve the capital of the then Portuguese Overseas Province of Angola. It was inaugurated in 1954, by the Portuguese President Craveiro Lopes. In honor to him, the official name of the airport became President Craveiro Lopes Airport. In August 1975 the airport hosted tens of thousands of mostly white Portuguese Angolans in transit, camping at the airport ahead of fleeing to Lisbon via "Operation Air Bridge". Following the independence of Angola from Portugal in November 1975, the airport was re-baptized Quatro de Fevereiro Internacional Airport. Quatro de Fevereiro means 4 February, which is an important national holiday in Angola, marking the start of the armed struggle against the Portuguese colonial regime on 4 February 1961. Today the airport has two asphalt paved runways: 05/23 is 3,716 by 45 metres and 07/25 is 2,600 by 60 metres. LAD is home base of TAAG Angola Airlines E.P. (Portuguese: TAAG Linhas Aéreas de Angola E.P.) operates an domestic services within Angola, medium-haul services in Africa and long-haul services to Brazil, Cuba, China, and Portugal.
Gallery of LUA # 1990's - Vintage Pictures by Stéphane Christeler

Gallery of LUA # 1990's - Vintage

Pictures by Stéphane Christeler

14 images

LUA # 2012 Picture by David Bourgaud

LUA # 2012

Picture by David Bourgaud

1 image

Labels

New images