Havana • José Martí International Airport [HAV/MUHA] Cuba 26—27/07/15

by AeroWorldpictures Team
Démarrer diaporama
José Martí International Airport (IATA: HAV, ICAO: MUHA), sometimes known by its former name Rancho-Boyeros Airport, is an international airport located 15 km southwest of Havana, Cuba. On 24 February 1930, the airport opened replacing Havana Columbia Airfield, which was the first airport to serve Havana. On 30 October 1930, the first flight by Cubana de Aviación from Havana to Santiago de Cuba carried the mail on a Ford Trimotor. In January 1943 the airport had its first control tower. In 1945, The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is formed at Havana and Cubana's first international flight out of the airport was a Douglas DC-3 to Miami on May 15. In 1961, diplomatic relations with the United States deteriorated substantially and with the US embargo against Cuba, airlines from the USA were not permitted to operate regular scheduled flights to the airport until 2015. Because of Cuba's relationship with the Soviet Union, the airport during the 1970s and 1980s enjoyed the presence of many Eastern Bloc airline companies, such as Aeroflot, Czechoslovak Airlines, Interflug, and LOT Polish Airlines. Today there are currently 3 passenger terminals in use at the airport. Terminal 1 is used primarily for domestic flights. Terminal 2 opened in 1988, primarily for charter flights to the USA and later on April 27, 1998, the International Terminal 3 was opened. HAV airport is a hub for Cubana de Aviación and Aerogaviota, and former Latin American hub for the Soviet (later Russian) airline Aeroflot.
HAV # 2015.07.26 by Stéphane Christeler / AWP Team

HAV # 2015.07.26

by Stéphane Christeler / AWP Team

59 images

Labels

New images